skip to main content

license application status e-tags motor vehicle inquirytitle checkwebDealer

Salvage Dealer License

Salvage Dealer License

SalvageA salvage dealer is a person or company who:

  • acquires, sells, dismantles, repairs, rebuilds, reconstructs, or otherwise deals in nonrepairable motor vehicles, salvage motor vehicles, or used parts (if incidental to the person's primary business);
  • holds a salvage inventory number issued by the department and deals in the salvage vehicle industry (excluding metal recyclers).

You are required to be licensed as a salvage dealer if you:

  • sell more than five salvage or nonrepairable motor vehicles at casual sale in a calendar year; or
  • casually repairs, rebuilds, or reconstructs three or more salvage motor vehicles in the same calendar year.
Types of salvage licenses

New automobile dealer - primary business is selling new motor vehicles, but may also buy salvage motor vehicles to repair and sell, or otherwise deal in nonrepairable motor vehicles

Used automobile dealer - primary business is selling used motor vehicles but may also buy salvage motor vehicles to repair and sell, or otherwise deal in nonrepairable motor vehicles

Salvage vehicle pool operator - primary business is selling nonrepairable motor vehicles or salvage motor vehicles at auction, including wholesale auction.

Salvage vehicle broker - primary business is buying, selling or exchanging salvage and nonrepairable motor vehicles with other licensed salvage vehicle dealers.

Salvage vehicle rebuilder - primary business is acquiring and repairing, rebuilding or reconstructing for operation on a public highway three or more salvage motor vehicles in a calendar year.

Note: Salvage dealers do not submit title paperwork to the county tax offices for retail purchasers.

MVD-438-A Salvage Vehicle Dealer License Application

MVD-437-A Salvage Vehicle Agent License Application


Adding an endorsement to an existing license: The new endorsement must expire at the same time as your existing license. Use the table below to calculate the pro-rated fee needed to add the new endorsement.

New Application
Your existing license expires in how many months? Pay this fee to add each endorsement
1 $7.92
2 $15.83
3 $23.75
4 $31.67
5 $39.58
6 $47.50
7 $55.42
8 $63.33
9 $71.25
10 $79.17
11 $87.08
Further Salvage Information

If you need more information about being a salvage dealer, please call us at (888) 368-4689.

If you have questions regarding the titling of salvage vehicles, please call us at (512) 465-7400.

All salvage dealers are required under federal law to report their vehicle transactions by using the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS). To increase awareness of the program, TxDMV collects the NMVTIS number from all Salvage Applicants. However, the Department of Justice is the enforcing agency for this program. For further information, please refer to the NMVTIS publication , or visit

For questions regarding Used Auto Parts Recycler licensing, please visit the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation's website or call toll-free (in Texas): (800) 803-9202 or locally: (512) 463-6599.

Copyright © 2016 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved. - 4000 Jackson Ave, Austin, TX 78731